Let’s draw some expanding hugs!
These fun drawings look just like regular pictures, but some clever paper folding and careful matching up of lines means the arms expand into a huge hug!!
To make your own expanding hugs drawing you’ll need:
- A sheet of paper – we used printer paper.
- A pencil and eraser
- Markers or colored pencils to color in.
- A black fine liner – optional.
1) Start with your blank piece of paper with the widest side to the top and bottom, or horizontal orientation (long like the horizon).
2) Fold your paper in half and lightly crease the middle. Now open the paper back up and lay it flat again.
3) Fold each side of your paper into the middle, right on that middle crease you just made. Go slowly and make sure your paper edges are lined up.
4) Now fold each of those middle flaps in half, back to the outside edge.
5) Now you are ready to draw.
You need to draw something that has a long thin body which goes in the center of the paper between the two folds, and something that has arms that can stick out to the sides. The ‘hug-bots’ drawing above is an awesome idea and you can also play around with an octopus, or a teddy bear, or a self portrait (you with long arms).......get creative and fun here.
Once you’ve decided what to draw, start with the paper all folded up and sketch the head, body and legs in the middle, between the folded sides of the paper. Now add the arms on the folded part of the paper.
Next unfold the paper and draw the arms across the entire sheet of paper so they meet up with the sections you have already drawn.
Once you’ve colored in your picture it’s ready to hug… just open the flaps!
Here are a few more examples of expanding hugs...…
A funny octopus with stretchy hugging arms, or maybe they are legs??
And a bear hug!
And there you have it, an expanding hug card.
Have fun, be creative and color it in completely!!
See y'all next week and have a great weekend!